Items and entities subject to us export controls
Below are links to information regarding controlled items as well as entities (countries and persons) that are subject to US sanctions or embargoes.
Information on items covered by Export Controls is controlled by the Commerce Control List(EAR Part 774) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and (b) defense articles, technical data and defense services (including assistance and training) covered by the U.S. Munitions List. Below is a list of categories of items which are controlled under the EAR.
Categories of items controlled under the EAR
For full EAR category descriptions please see the Bureau of Industry and Security website list of downloadable files.
0. Nuclear Materials, Facilities & Equipment (and Miscellaneous Items)
1. Materials, Chemicals, Microorganisms, and Toxins
2. Materials Processing
5 (i). Telecommunications
5 (ii). Information Security
6. Sensors and Lasers
7. Navigation and Avionics
9. Propulsion Systems, Space Vehicles and Related Equipment
Categories of items controlled under the ITAR
For full ITAR category descriptions please see the U.S. Dept. of State ITAR website.
2. Guns & Armament
4. Launch Vehicles, Guided & Ballistic Missiles, Rockets, Torpedoes, Bombs, Mines
5. Explosives & Energetic Materials, Propellants, Incendiary Agents
6. Vessels of War & Special Naval Equipment
7. Tanks & Military Vehicles
8. Aircraft & Associated Equipment
9. Military Training Equipment & Training
10. Protective Personnel Equipment & Shelters
11. Military Electronics
12. Fire Control, Range Finder, Optical & Guidance & Control Equipment
13. Auxiliary Military Equipment
14. Toxicological Agents, Including Chemical & Biological Agents & Equipment
16. Nuclear Weapons
17. Classified Articles & Technical Data
18. Directed Energy Weapons
20. Submersible Vessels & Oceanographic Equipment
21. Miscellaneous Articles
Information on countries and persons subject to US sanctions or embargoes is maintained by the U.S. Department of State; the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); or, the U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC):
Country Sanctions Programs
U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS):
Lists to Check
U.S. Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls:
List of Embargoed Countries