Published December 18, 2017
For years Grants.gov has offered an Adobe (PDF) application package to apply for federal grants. The Adobe application package will be phased out on December 31, 2017, and Grants.gov will offer Workspace in its place:
- Applicants will no longer be able to download the older, single Adobe (PDF) application package of forms.
- For any funding opportunities where applicants have downloaded the legacy PDF application package, they will be able to continue to submit that package until March 31, 2018. (source: www.grants.gov/web/grants/support/grants-gov-notices.html)
For grant applications started on or after 1/1/2018, you must use an alternate method to apply for grants.
For applications to the National Institutes of Health, the alternatives are:
- NIH ASSIST
- WUs Proposal Development System (PDS) via System to System (S2S)
- Important: For grants due on or after 1/25/18, S2S via PDS will no longer be supported. NIH Will transition to Forms E on 1/25/18 and S2S will not be updated to Forms E. For more details see this SF424 Research News bulletin from November 2017.
For other federal applications where you previously used the Adobe application package (e.g. Department of Defense, Department of Energy, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Endowment for the Arts, Institute of Museum and Library Science) the alternative is:
NIH ASSIST Resources:
- Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking (ASSIST) Login
- ASSIST User Guide from NIH/eRA
If you have any questions please contact the Office of Sponsored Research Services.