The Morphology & Imaging core provides equipment and expertise in the preparation of ocular tissue for analysis by light or electron microscopy. The module is staffed by two experienced technologists and offers a wide range of services including: optical computed tomography (OCT) on rodent eyes, light microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, confocal microscopy, routine histology, immunocytochemistry, laser micro-dissection and image analysis.
This core is designed specifically to help vision researchers investigate the structure of ocular tissues in normal and diseased states. The core offers conventional histology services including preparation of paraffin and plastic-embedded samples for light and electron microscopy. Techniques such as immunocytochemistry and in situ hybridization are also supported. The core features two confocal microscopes (an upright FV-1000 and an inverted LSM510). Additional major instrumentation includes a laser microdissection system, a fluorescent macroscope and a widefield fluorescence microscope. Metamorph image analysis software is available on a dedicated computer workstation.
Service available to All entities, including for-profit organizations.
Priority service for All entities, including for-profit organizations.
This core is funded through a P30 grant from the National Eye Institute (NEI) and is intended to support the research efforts of NEI-funded investigators. Investigators who are engaged in vision research but are not currently funded through NEI may also use the facilities of the core, with the understanding that NEI grant holders will be given priority access.
- Training on confocal and fluorescence microscopes
- Training on Laser microdissection
- Training to perform OCT scans on rodent eyes, Preparation of cryosections, plastic-embedded and paraffin-embedded samples for light and electron microscopy
- Zeiss 510 META confocal microscope
- Olympus FV1000 confocal microscope
- Olympus BX51 fluorescence microscope
- Leica fluorescence macroscope
- Leica LMD6000 Laser microdissection
- Bioptigen spectral domain ophthalmic imaging system
Please contact this core directly for pricing information.