Controlled Substances

Acquire Approval to Begin Working With Controlled Substances (DAF/DCM)

  1. Obtain approved ​Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee protocol; ensure all personnel who will have access to the controlled substances are identified in the protocol application.
  2. Complete training Introduction to Animal Care and Use module.
  3. Initiate background check(s) by completing the Danforth Campus [PDF] and/or Medical School [PDF] background check form.
  4. Ensure there is an appropriate cabinet to store the controlled substances and access to the key is limited to only approved lab staff on the protocol.

A clinical practice DEA license cannot be used to obtain controlled substances for a research program. Washington University, in accordance with the laws of the State of Missouri and the regulations of the Missouri Bureau of Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs (BNDD), require that an individual maintain separate registrations for their research and clinical programs. You may obtain information on how to apply for both the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and BNDD research registrations by reviewing the Controlled Substance policy or reviewing the following links:

BNDD website, BNDD Application for a Missouri Controlled Substances Registration

DEA Office of Diversion Control website, DEA Registration

Materials for use in approved Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) research protocols can be obtained from the Division of Comparative Medicine (DCM) for the Medical School or from the Danforth Animal Facility (DAF) on the Danforth campus.

Materials for use in non-IACUC approved research (e.g. in vitro) must be obtained under an individual’s researcher registration. A medical practitioner’s registration cannot be used to order controlled substances for use in research.

Details on obtaining individual registrations are available at the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Missouri Bureau of Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs (BNDD) websites.