Last updated: April 24
Below are strategies and ideas for how research teams can stay engaged in productive activities while working remotely. Please submit additional suggestions or ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The COVID-19 High Performance Computing Consortium helps aggregate computing capabilities from the world’s most powerful and advanced computers to help COVID-19 researchers execute complex computational research programs to help fight the virus.
- NVIDIA will provide a free 90-day license to Parabricks to any researcher in the worldwide effort to fight the novel coronavirus. Based on the well-known Genome Analysis Toolkit, Parabricks uses GPUs to accelerate by as much as 50x the analysis of sequence data.
- LabArchives is a cloud-based research data collaboration and management tool. It makes organizing, storing and sharing lab data fast, simple and accessible on all digital platforms.
For help with data management, please visit the Research Infrastructure Services (RIS) website.
Sustain useful activities for research teams working from home by:
- Scheduling regular online meetings with team members via Zoom to maintain engagement and assess progress
- Doing self-appraisals, giving feedback on improving departmental operations
- Reading training on compliance manuals
- Cross-training remotely with co-workers who are interested in learning from each other
- Updating employee job descriptions
- Developing research best practices in your area
- Reading research articles and learn more about their work, assign other project work that relates or would benefit your area.
- Documenting lab procedures
- Writing up standard operation procedures for all functions of your area
- Learning new Excel skills (free lessons available in LinkedIn Learning)
- Taking home the “procrastination pile” we all have on our desk and work on it
- Helping with manuscript preparation and data analyses
- Visit the HR website for resources available to enhance and refine your skills
- Go out on Learn@Work to take any of the many training topics available
- Use LinkedIn Learning to discover and develop a multitude of skills through expert-led course videos