Contracts and Subawards

Distinguish Between Agreement Types

Clinical Trial Agreement (CTA) or Clinical Research Agreement (CRA): An agreement directly with a for-profit company providing funding or a drug/device for a Clinical Trial Can be for a Sponsor-Initiated or Investigator-Initial Clinical Trial.

Collaboration Agreement: An agreement covering an unfunded collaboration where both WU and the other party are contributing to the performance of a research scope of work. This can be with a for-profit, non-profit or academic entity.

Confidentiality Agreement (CDA or NDA): An agreement that allows Washington University faculty and staff to exchange confidential information with outside third parties under obligations to protect and preserve the confidentiality of the information. Generally, CDAs are entered into for the purpose of exploring a potential research collaboration or license agreement.

Consortium Agreement: An agreement that governs the terms of membership in a consortium.

Consulting Agreement: A personal agreement between faculty or other academic employees and outside entities to which the university is not a party. This activity is independent of the university and the agreements are not signed or reviewed by the university.

Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA): A legal agreement between a federal laboratory and the university to work together on a project. The agreement does not involve transfer of funds from the government. A CRADA allows the Federal Government and the University to optimize their resources, share technical expertise, and share intellectual property emerging from the effort. CRADAs are used by federal laboratories to provide facilities, equipment, personnel, services, or other non-monetary resources in the support of a collaborative research effort.

Data Use Agreement (DUA): An agreement between the university and another party (academic institution, government entity, or company) to exchange a limited data set as defined by HIPAA for the purpose of furthering research. The agreement ensures appropriate treatment of the exchanged data under the privacy laws.

Intragovernmental Personnel Act Assignments (IPA): An agreement that outlines the obligations and responsibilities of the parties when a faculty member is temporarily assigned to a federal agency.

Material Transfer Agreement (MTA): An agreement that governs the transfer of tangible research materials between the university and a third party. These agreements are processed through the Office of Technology Management.

Service Agreement (SA): An agreement between the university and a service recipient in which the University is performing a service for hire. These agreements are only appropriate for projects that do not involve any basic or applied research.

Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA): An agreement directly with a for-profit company providing funding for a pre-clinical or non-clinical research project. An SRA may be supported by funding from for-profit (e.g., private industry) or nonprofit (state or federal government, foundations, etc.) sponsors.

Subaward/Subcontract: An agreement issued to the university under a prime contract, agreement or grant.

Teaming Agreement: An agreement entered into at the pre-proposal stage of funding between the university and a collaborator. This agreement allows the parties to express their willingness to work together to bid on a funding opportunity, may discuss plans for a future subaward, and provides for the protection of any confidential information exchanged. These agreements are often requested by companies who want to ensure the confidential treatment of any proprietary information they disclose while collaborating on the proposal.

Visiting Scientist Agreement: An agreement entered into between the university and another academic institution or other party that outlines the terms and rules to be followed while a faculty member is visiting at the other institution.