Sponsor Foreign Scholars and Visitors

The transfer of controlled information to a foreign national within the United States is considered to be an export to the home country of that foreign national under both the EAR and the ITAR. This is called a “deemed export.” The deemed export of controlled technology or information may be prohibited without a license, depending on the technology and the country involved. The deemed export rule has implications for university personnel sponsoring foreign student and scholar visa applications.

For H1-B visa applications, the required USCIS Form I-129 Visa Petition effectively requires the University to certify that its foreign employees will not have access to any ITAR- or EAR-controlled technologies during the course of their employment. In order to make this determination, the Export Control Manager (ECM) ​will collect information from the department through the H-1B Export Control Questionnaire and follow up interviews. After review, the ECM will make a recommendation to the Office of International Students and Scholars as to whether a license will be needed.

For other classes of visa applicants from countries with extensive embargoes (Iran, Syria, Sudan, North Korea, Cuba) a similar questionnaire will be used to assess export control risk.

Requests for export control information from consulates or embassies:
In some cases the consulate will request information about the applicant’s intended activities and whether or not export controlled information will be shared with them.  Please contact the Export Control Manager ( for an assessment before sending any statements regarding access to export controlled items, technology, or information.