Published August 31, 2022
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced changes to grant applications forms and application guide instructions for due dates on or after January 25, 2023.
NIH’s Forms-G application package is being replaced by the new FORMS-H application package, effective for deadlines on or after January 25, 2023. Accordingly, we will be working with our Research Management System (RMS) vendor to update the forms for System to System (S2S) proposal submissions. A follow-up announcement will be sent after RMS is updated.
Below is a list of details.
- FORMS-H are required for due dates on or after January 25, 2023.
- FORMS-G are required for due dates on or before January 24, 2023.
- For a transition period, both FORMS-G and FORMS-H application packages will be active simultaneously. Applicants must choose the appropriate application package for their due date when presented with both FORMS-G and FORMS-H application packages on the same FOA.
- This will be the case for using RMS/S2S, ASSIST and Workspace.
|If your intended due date is…||You must use…|
|On or before January 24, 2023, including: ||FORMS-G application package|
|On or after January 25, 2023, including: ||FORMS-H application package|
The following application forms include substantive form changes (i.e. new/deleted/modified fields). All other forms include only an OMB expiration date change.
- PHS 398 Research Plan Form
- PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental Form
- PHS 398 Research Training Program Plan
- PHS Fellowship Supplemental Form
- For NIH, as part of the implementation of the 2023 NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy, a new “Other Plan(s)” attachment field has been added to the PHS 398 Research Plan Form and the PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental Form. Applicants must attach the required Data Management and Sharing Plan in this new field in FORMS-H applications. See NOT-OD-21-013 and NOT-OD-22-189 for more information. Note: Although the 2023 NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy is not applicable to fellowship and institutional training grant applications, the new attachment field was added for potential future use with other plans.
- See High-level Summary of Form Changes in FORMS-H Application Packages for a full list of form changes. Participating agencies will notify the community if it is determined additional changes are needed. These changes will be implemented with application form packages identified with a Competition ID of “FORMS-H” and associated application guide instructions. Additional guidance and confirmation of implementation plans will be provided in Fall 2022.
- New funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) will be posted with FORMS-G and/or FORMS-H application packages, as appropriate, beginning October 25, 2022.
- New FOAs posted before October 25, 2022, with initial due dates on or after January 25, 2023, will be posted without application forms until updated forms are available. Application packages will be added to these FOAs by November 25, 2022.
- All active Parent and IC-issued FOAs with due dates on or after January 25, 2023, will be updated to add FORMS-H application packages between October 25, 2022, and November 25, 2022, with all application forms packages posted 30 calendar days or more prior to receipt dates.
- Application guides for FORMS-H application packages will be posted to the How to Apply – Application Guide page no later than October 25, 2022.
Please share this information with all faculty and staff who may need this information.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Sponsored Research Services.