Published May 25, 2021
The purpose of this announcement is to share information with the Washington University community regarding the Unique Entity Identifier, Login.gov and SAM.gov.
Unique Entity Identifier (UEI)
- From May 24, 2021, through April 2022, federal agencies are transitioning from the DUNS number to Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) to uniquely identify institutions.
- Washington University’s UEI is L6NFUM28LQM5.
- Grants.gov forms and Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) are being updated to accommodate the UEI.
- FOAs that require the UEI cannot be submitted via RMS/S2S yet. RMS is expected to be updated with the UEI for S2S submissions in June – July 2021.
- NIH and NSF have indicated they anticipate transitioning to using the UEI in January 2022.
- More than two dozen opportunities currently posted at Grants.gov by various agencies with deadlines as soon as this week require UEI forms and data.
- Please double check your FOA for RMS/S2S applications to see if the UEI is a required field. If the FOA requires the UEI, they cannot be submitted S2S. They will need to be submitted via Workspace.
- What is Login.gov?
- Login.gov is one account for secure, private access to participating government agencies.
- Login.gov is a shared service authentication provider managed by General Services Administration (GSA).
- Most DAs and PIs will need to set up an account with login.gov at some point.
- Create a Login.gov account.
- SAM.gov is the System for Award Management.
- All institutions who apply for and/or receive federal grants and contracts must be registered in SAM.gov.
- The SAM.gov site was updated on May 24, 2021, and assigned Unique Entity Identifiers (UEIs) to all entities with a SAM.gov registration.
- Washington University is registered in SAM.gov, and our UEI is L6NFUM28LQM5.
- Any individual can view entity registrations (e.g. Harvard’s entity information), but you have to log in with a login.gov user name and password.
- Debarment (exclusion) checking can be done without having to log in.
Please share this information with other individuals as you deem appropriate.