The Office of the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel (OGC) provides legal counsel to all academic, research and central administration units of the University regarding compliance with a broad array of Federal, State and local regulations and institutional and sponsoring agency policies and procedures concerning research and related activities.
OGC reports to the Chancellor.
- Collaborates on the development of institutional policies and guidance to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local regulations and sponsoring agency policies and procedures.
- Serves as a resource and counsel for all matters related to research compliance.
- Serves as counsel to institutional compliance committees, including the Conflict of Interest Review and the Institutional Conflict of Interest Committees, the Committees on Research Integrity, Human Research Protection Office Committees (Washington University’s Institutional Review Board), Human Research Quality Assurance Committee, Embryonic Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee, the Animal Studies Committee, the Institutional Biological and Chemical Safety Committee, and the Radiation Safety Committee.
- Reviews/prepares license agreements and a wide array of research-related contracts.
- Works with the Compliance Office and other institutional compliance offices, committees, departments and faculty as appropriate to investigate and provide guidance regarding instances of non-compliance.