Published December 13, 2018
As previously announced through Research News, new grant proposal, updated award packages, and standard reports are now available in the data warehouse via Cognos. The packages integrate new and legacy proposal data from RMS and PDS, respectively.
Along with the information previously available, the following is now available for reporting:
- New proposal data packages are released.
- Note: This is considered a beta release; the data packages have been through user acceptance testing but due to the large number of data fields and the overall complexity of the data, minor changes may be called for in the next release of RMS reporting data. Cognos Reporting questions may be submitted to email@example.com.
- Legacy PDS packages continue to be available in the data warehouse, but are not being updated with new data.
- Awards packages are upgraded and enhanced.
- Budget Category-level Detail – Previously unavailable, ‘Category Detail’ allows budgetary reporting by proposal, by cost category (e.g., Personnel, Travel, Supplies, etc.)
- Newly captured project attributes are now available – e.g., international collaborations; classification of research: basic, applied, or experimental; clinical trial, etc.
- Contracts data is now available – the Joint Research Office for Contracts (JROC) now manages and tracks its agreements within RMS. Departmental users can access 2 pre-built reports with contracts data in Cognos under Team Content > Reports > Research Reporting > Agreements:
- Pending Agreements
- Executed Agreements
- Grants reports are now available in Cognos:
- Consortium and Subcontract Costs
- Other Support/Current and Pending
- Proposal Counts
- Proposal Detail
- Proposal Personnel Budget Detail
- Proposals by Department and Division by Due Date and Project From Date
A workgroup of central and academic departments assessed and prioritized these reports and there are additional reports under consideration for future inclusion.
Current Cognos users with proposal and award package access received targeted communications from WashU IT’s Enterprise Applications on 11/02/18. Key resources shared in this communication include:
- Cognos Training
- RMS Data Access
- RMS Data Dictionary
- RMS Data Tips & Tricks
- Remapping Packages & Fields in Cognos
- Cognos Support
Initially, most users will only have access to run reports. If you need write access to the packages, an updated security form is available.
Interested in creating new RMS reports and improving existing research reports? Attend the Research Reporting Committee meetings and work with a community of subject matter experts who cooperatively support the research community by assessing and tacking common Cognos reporting needs across the various data systems. For more information, contact JoAnne Humphries or Keith Page.
Please contact OVCRinfo@wustl.edu should you have any questions.